After seeing the cake that Aimee made for her daughter Clara for her first birthday, I knew that I would use the recipe on Linden’s big day. I liked that the Apple Spice Cake used natural sweeteners and featured some fruit, but also that it sounded delicious enough for the whole family to enjoy. Cream cheese frosting never hurts either!
I doubled the recipe and made a 4 layer version so that it was extra special and it would be able to feed a crowd. It came out perfectly and topped with raspberries, it was a total hit. The cake would actually make a lovely snack cake if you just did one layer, though I do recommend storing it in the fridge before and between serving since it tastes a bit better chilled.
1 1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup brown rice syrup
4 medium eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups organic cake flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 cups finely chopped apples (such as Granny Smith)
1. Preheat to oven to 325 F and butter, flour, and line four 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
2. Warm the coconut oil in a glass measuring cup until it is runny, then pour into a large bowl. Use the same cup to measure the syrups to the bowl. Add the vanilla and mix well. Add the eggs and mix wet ingredients well.
3. In another bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and combine but do not over mix. Fold in the apples and combine to coat. Divide batter between the pans and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (You may need to do two pans at a time depending on the size of your oven.)
4. Cool for ten minutes on a wire rack, then loosen around the edges of the pan with a knife and invert cakes onto the cooling rack. Serve warm or cool and frost.
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 packages full fat cream cheese, slightly softened at room temperature
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 t vanilla
1. Beat all ingredients with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Spread between cakes as you layer then, then spread over the outside. Garnish with raspberries if desired.