I'm so excited to introduce my newest ebook, Yummy Baby Food, today! It's no secret that I'm passionate about helping others to feed their families well and the past 6 months of introducing baby Tula to solids reminded me of a very important thing: Those first few months can be a real challenge! From textures and flavors to the simple order of feeding her different foods multiple times a day, feeding a baby can feel like a full-time job. And a stressful one at that.
Plus, I found myself having to block out some of the noise I was hearing online about feeding little ones. Because while it's true that a baby should eat lots of nutritious foods from the start, I feel really strongly that we don't need to source unusual cuts of meat, track down expensive ingredients or supplements, break our food budgets buying 100% organic ingredients, or make complicated purees with foods we don't ever eat ourselves. And we don't need to measure our baby's milestones against any others because just as one baby may crawl before another, each baby progresses through the phases of eating solids at her own pace.
Deep down, I knew that I just needed to focus on whole foods, prepared simply, and to let my girl participate in meals from the very start with opportunities to feed herself. And to take her preferences in stride—and to keep offering her a variety of foods no matter what she threw onto the floor during a meal. But I was also being reminded each day how hard that can be and how important it is to have shortcuts (ahem, pouches) in my back pocket.
Yummy Baby Food is the result of that experience. I want parents everywhere to be able to relax about feeding their baby, to stop worrying about labels of feeding styles, and to follow their own baby's lead. And to have the tools to prepare simple foods and meals for little ones, whether they are brand new to solid food or are a more advanced eater of finger foods.
While there are recipes included here, this isn't a glossy baby food cookbook—there are plenty of lovely options already on the market to cover those bases. Instead, this is a quick-start guidebook to help you get going, reset when a problem arises, and to give you new, doable ideas for the day in and day out nature of feeding little ones.
The guide is filled with practical advice that doesn't require you to find unusual or expensive ingredients or spend hours cooking. As my youngest was going through each phase, I took photos so you can see what tiny hands look like when holding certain foods and trying to self-feed in these early months of eating. This guide is, I hope, a reminder that while questions will definitely arise during the first 6 months of feeding your baby solids, the answers are often simple and completely doable.
Inside the 60 page ebook you'll find:
- Advice for starting solids with both medical and practical considerations in mind
- The difference between Baby Led Weaning and purees (and why you should ditch the labels and do both)
- Good first foods to offer
- How to add more foods, flavors, and textures
- Tips for moving on to finger foods
- Lists of foods to try during each stage of eating and advice for how to serve them
- Baby meal Ideas for each stage
- Tips for packing food for daycare
- Tips for feeding baby while on the go and traveling
- FAQs & troubleshooting common feeding problems
- Favorite baby feeding gear
- Images of a 6-10 month old baby eating so you'll get an idea of how the little hands will look through each stage
- 30 super simple and yummy recipes
And here's what a few early readers had to say about Yummy Baby Food:
- "I particularly liked that you talked about both purees and baby lead weaning and gave options for both, as people don't usually talk about those together."
- "I like the specific advice for each age group!"
- "I appreciate that your approach to solids is pretty laid back. It takes away the urgency and the pressure that I feel many moms put on themselves to start at a certain time or to do it a certain way."
- "I love the lists of foods for babies to try."
I hope that this addition to my feeding resources helps you, whether this is your first baby or your fourth!
To celebrate my sweet baby's first birthday this week, I'm offering the ebook at a discounted price of just $5 from now through the end of the weekend. After that it will be $8.