You can do as little or as much at a time as you like. I like to do enough to fill a gallon size freezer bag, or just freeze as many greens as I happen to have—even if it’s just a small amount lingering in the fridge. Doing this also helpfully knocks down the “green” flavor!
- 1 bunch kale or bag of spinach
- Wash, dry, and remove kale leaves from the stems. Place into a zip top freezer bag.
- Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible. Freeze!
- Remove frozen kale from the freezer.
- Crush the leaves to make them easy to measure for smoothies and to help the bag take up less space in the freezer.
- Measure out 1/2 cup for your green smoothie.
Crush the frozen greens for a more compact bag in the freezer and for easier measuring.
Blend the smoothie very well to incorporate all of the greens.
You can experiment with adding more to a smoothie, but taste it before you give it to the kids to make sure it’s sweet enough.