You can use curly kale or flat kale in this recipe—both work well.
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed (about 6 lightly packed cups or 4 ounces of leaves)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed OR roasted almonds OR sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pizza seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with a Silpat, foil (sprayed with nonstick spray) or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the kale into a wide skillet with 1 cup water. Cover and heat over medium for about 5 minutes or until the kale is wilted. Drain, let cool briefly, then squeeze dry. You should have about 1 cup blanched kale when slightly packed into a measuring cup. (You can also steam the kale on the stovetop if you prefer.)
- Place the kale and the rest of the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Process, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed, until finely ground. Use a 1-tablespoon measuring spoon to portion out the mixture, scooping it up and gently pushing it out of the spoon with your finger onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until firm to the touch and just starting to turn golden brown on the bottom. Serve warm with salsa or ketchup.
These bites store well, so you can make them ahead and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. Heat briefly for 15 seconds in the microwave before serving.
Keywords: kale, how to bake kale