Be sure to use very ripe bananas since they taste the sweetest. Warm the muffins slightly after storing in the fridge if desired. This recipe was updated March 2020 to ensure the best texture and moisture.
- 3 small very-ripe-with-black-spots bananas (about 1 1/2 cups sliced)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted and slightly cooled butter OR almond butter
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups lightly packed baby spinach, optional
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a mini muffin tin.
- Mash the banana well.
- Stir together the wet ingredients, including the mashed banana
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- (Or, to do this step with a blender, place the bananas, eggs, butter, honey, and vanilla into a blender. Add the spinach if you plan to use it. Blend well.)
- Stir the oats, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips, if using, to the wet ingredients
- Fill prepared muffin tin about to the edge of each cup.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly. Use a paring knife to remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve at room temperature, slightly warm, or chilled.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container or in a zip top freezer bag for up to 3 months.
To make these as full size muffins: Use about 1/4 cup batter per muffin cup and bake for about 18-20 minutes.
Add a handful of baby spinach to the blender in Step 5 to add a veggie.
Some mini muffin tins sometimes have a tendency to stick, so be sure to grease them well. (I like this mini muffin tin from Wilton.)
Very ripe, with black spots, bananas have the most natural sweetness and will make these muffins taste best.
Stir in 1/4-1/3 cup mini chocolate chips for added deliciousness!
Top with nut butter, cream cheese, or a drizzle of honey if you’d like.
Keywords: chocolate muffins, banana muffins, chocolate banana muffins