This lightly sweetened cake is perfect for a first or second birthday—or just any day where you’re craving some cake to share!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled (or coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans with nonstick spray and line with rounds of parchment paper. Grease again with nonstick spray.
- Place the oats, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon into the bowl of a food processor. Grind about 30 seconds, or until the oats resemble a coarse flour.
- Add the bananas, eggs, vanilla, butter, and maple syrup. Process for an additional 30 seconds or until the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter between the pans. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out cleanly.
- Place pans onto a wire rack and let cakes cool completely in the pan.
- To frost, place one cake onto a plate, top with 1/4-1/3 cup of frosting. Place the second cake on top and spread the remaining frosting over top.
Cream Cheese Frosting: Use an electric hand-held mixer to beat together 8 ounces cream cheese (softened at room temperature), 2 tablespoons butter (softened at room temperature), 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extra. Beat until very smooth.
To make this dairy-free: Use melted coconut oil instead of the butter and nondairy Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese in the frosting.
To make this gluten-free: Use certified gluten-free rolled oats.
Let cakes cool in the pans on a wire rack to ensure that they stay together well.
Discard parchment paper before frosting the cakes.
To make ahead, you can bake the cakes up to a day ahead. Let cool, cover completely, and store in the fridge. Allow to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before frosting.
Store any leftovers covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: healthy banana cake, easy banana cake