Use Sunbutter to make these nut-free. You can cut these into smaller bars if desired. If you want them a little softer, serve them at room temperature rather than chilled.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8-inch baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving a few inches overhang on two sides so you can easily lift the bars out when they’re cooled.
- Place the oats into the bowl of a food processor or blender and blitz to grind into a coarse flour.
- Place the honey and peanut butter into a medium bowl and warm in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
- Add the oats and the remaining ingredients except the jam to the bowl with the peanut butter and honey and stir together. Use clean hands to bring the dough together as needed to form a thick, cookie dough like texture. It will hold together when pressed between your fingers.
- Set aside 3/4 cup of the batter.
- Place the remaining batter into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and press down evenly to cover.
- Spread the jam on top.
- Crumble the remaining dough over the jam and press down slightly.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, remove from oven, and let cool completely in the pan. (You can speed this up by sticking the pan into the fridge.
- Lift the bars out using the parchment paper and slice into bars.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Or freeze in a zip top freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature or in the fridge. (They freeze really well!)
If you want them a little softer, serve them at room temperature rather than chilled.
Use “natural” or honey sweetened jam or preserves so these don’t wind up with a lot of added sugars. (I actually find them to be too sweet when made with super sweet jam.)
You can use chia jam if you prefer a less sweet option.
Line the pan with parchment paper so the bars are easy to lift out of the pan and slice.
To make these nut-free, use Sunbutter.
You can also use almond instead of peanut butter.
If the mixture seems crumbly and isn’t holding together well, add a tablespoon or two of water and that should take care of it!
Keywords: breakfast bars, healthy breakfast bars