With plant-based protein, veggies, and cheese, this soup is a wonderful way to serve up healthy comfort food to the whole family. Adapted from FamilyFun
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 large leek, chopped and rinsed (or 1 large onion, peeled and chopped)
- 1 quart reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup green split peas
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add the leek, stir to coat, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the split peas.
- Add the broth, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and milk and cover. Turn the heat to low and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and remove the cover. Puree with an immersion blender (or let cool slightly and puree with a regular blender).
- Stir in the cheese and serve warm.
Store leftovers, once cooled, in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or use the defrost setting on your microwave.
Add a little water if needed to thin slightly when reheating.
Look for split peas in the bulk aisle or near the rice and beans in your store.
You can use 2% milk if you prefer.
Serve with bread or crackers so the kids can dip and dunk as needed—which may make them more interested in eating it!
Adults may enjoy their servings topped with hot sauce.
Keywords: broccoli soup, broccoli cheese soup, split pea soup