These mini muffins work best with fresh cranberries.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- zest from one orange (optional, but recommended; about 1–2 tbsp)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled or neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 24-cup mini muffin tin well.
- Place the cranberries into the bowl of a food processor. Grind to chop up into smaller pieces.
- Add the cranberries to a medium bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Stir gently to combine.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes for mini muffins or 16-18 for full size, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out cleanly.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 2 minutes, then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool fully. Use a paring knife around the edges to help release the muffins if needed.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm plain, with apple butter, a little butter, or cream cheese, as desired.
Store cooled muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Gluten-free: To make these muffins gluten-free, use gluten-free cup for cup flour.
Dairy-free: To make these muffins dairy-free, use melted coconut oil or canola oil.
Grind the fresh cranberries up to make the pieces more evenly distributed throughout the muffins.
Use freshly squeezed or bottled orange juice.
Use maple syrup or honey as the sweetener.
Stir the ingredients together gently to ensure that you don’t overwork the batter.
Use all whole wheat flour if you prefer.
Grease the muffin tin well.
Use a paring knife around the edges of the muffin pan to help release the baked muffins if needed.
Allow to cool in the pan for about 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
Keywords: cranberry orange muffin, cranberry muffin