You can make these ahead and store in the fridge or freezer and have grab and go snacks on hand for days/weeks! These bars are fairly sweet in flavor and I prefer them for kids 3 and up. For a lower sugar bar, try my Soft-Baked Granola Bars.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips, raisins, or dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- Line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper or foil, allowing about a 2 inch overhang on two ends. (You’ll use that to lift the bars out of the pan when you’re ready to slice them.
- Add the rolled oats, cereal, coconut, chocolate chips, vanilla and salt to a large bowl.
- Warm the peanut butter and brown rice syrup for about 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Pour into the oats mixture and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed. (Use clean hands if needed to get it all well incorporated. It’s okay if the chocolate melts a little.)
- Pour into prepared pan and press out to all corners evenly. It will be sticky, so be patient if it sticks to your hands at all!
- Chill for at least 10 minutes in the fridge. Remove from fridge and use parchment to lift the bars out of the pan. Place onto a cutting board and slice into squares. Serve or wrap and store for later.
To Store: Wrap each bar in plastic wrap if you prefer —this is the best way to keep them from sticking and it’s then easy to serve them up for snacks or with lunches. Place wrapped bars into a gallon size storage or freezer bag and store for up to 2 weeks in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature.
You can also place layers of bars, with parchment paper in between, in a large storage container.
I prefer these slightly chilled. They do soften a bit at room temperature.
Use raisins, dried cranberries or cherries in place of the chocolate chips if preferred.
Chop the chocolate chips to more evenly disperse them throughout the bars.
Pair with milk or fruit for snack or serve for dessert.
Gluten-Free: Use GF Rice Krispies or crispy rice cereal.
Nut-Free: Use sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter.
Keywords: no bake granola bars