These cookies are a little crispy around the edges right out of the oven, but soften as they are stored.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir the ingredients together in a medium bowl. The batter will be fairly thick and sticky.
- Use a 1 tablespoon spoon to portion out batter onto the prepared baking sheet, placing batter about 1 inch apart. Press down slightly so the cookies are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until firm to the touch and lightly golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store leftovers, once cooled, for 3-5 days in an airtight container at room temperature. Or freeze in a zip top bag with as much air removed as possible for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or at room temperature.
Use smooth, unsweetened applesauce.
Use an applesauce that has good flavor when you taste it as that will impact the flavor of the cookies.
Store-bought applesauce works great or you can use homemade applesauce.
Gluten-free: Use cup for cup gluten-free flour mix.
Dairy-free: Use the coconut oil instead of butter.
Egg-free: Omit the egg, add 1/4 cup milk and increase baking soda to 1/2 teaspoon.