The amount of puree you wind up with will vary according to the size of the pumpkin you start with.
- 1 pie or sugar pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, avocado oil, or melted unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry your pumpkin.
- Cut off the stem and the base. Cut into quarters.
- Remove the seeds and the stringy stuff with a spoon and/or a knife.
- Cut into 2-3 inch wedges and brush with oil. Place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Roast until soft.
- Scoop off the skin and place into a blender.
- Blend, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed to make a smooth puree.
- Serve, once cooled at least slightly, or combine with another favorite baby food for flavorful combinations.
Stir in a little extra olive oil, butter, or avocado oil to add flavor and healthy fats to the puree before serving.
Serve the puree on a spoon or add to a Homemade Baby Food Pouch.
To freeze: Add the cooled puree to a silicone ice cube tray and freeze until firm, then transfer to a zip top freezer bag and store for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. (Find more about freezing baby food here.)