With an almost fool proof method, these Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes mash up into silky smooth baby food or a side. You can also skip the mashing and serve them as you would baked potatoes.
- 3–4 small sweet potatoes (“garnet yams” are great here)
- Wash your sweet potatoes and add them to the bottom of your crock pot. You don’t need to dry them and you don’t need to add any additional water.
- Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or until super soft when poked with a knife.
- Remove from the slow cooker and let cool. Slicing them open can speed up the cooling process a little.
- Peel and discard the skins. Add the flesh to a bowl.
- Mash until smooth with a potato masher. Serve!
Add a dash of cinnamon and salt for more flavor. Or ginger and turmeric for more savory flavor.
Smaller sweet potatoes tend to fit better in the crockpot.
You want them to be in one layer, not stacked on top of each other, to ensure even cooking.
Let them cool at least slightly before you attempt to peel them to spare your fingers!
Mash with a potato masher or even put them into a food processor for a more consistently smooth texture.