Turn fresh carrots into a simple, nourishing baby food for baby with this easy method. Read the NOTES for additional flavor options.
- 2 cups diced carrots
- water, breastmilk, or formula
- Set a medium pot fitted with a steamer insert or basket over medium high heat. Add about 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer.
- Turn down to medium heat, add the carrots to the steamer basket or insert and cover.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, or until very soft when poked with a knife. Remove lid and cool slightly.
- Add carrots to a blender. Add 1/4 cup water and blend, adding more water as needed to make a puree. (You can add additional water to make it thinner as well.)
- Add optional flavors, then serve and/or store.
To store, place into airtight containers and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or portion into an ice cube tray and freeze overnight. Transfer to a freezer bag and seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and stir if any separation occurs.
You can use breastmilk or formula instead of the water if desired and make it thinner as a stage 1 baby food or thicker as stage 2.
The carrot puree will taste as good as the carrots you start with, so taste them to make sure they taste sweet before you start cooking.
Stir in 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to the finished puree to add healthy fats.
Season the batch with 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, Chinese Five Spice, or ground ginger to add flavor. Or add a tiny pinch to each serving.