You can make this up to 24 hours ahead and store in a plastic zip top bag in the fridge until ready to use.
- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 8 ounces cream cheese (I like full fat), softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick), softened at room temperature
- 2–3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, optional
- sprinkles, optional
- Place the strawberries into a blender or clean spice grinder. Grind into a fine powder.
- Add to a medium bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend well using a hand held electric mixer on high speed to make a fluffy frosting.
- Transfer to a zip top quart size bag. Seal. Cut off one bottom corner and pipe onto cupcakes. (You can also just use a spatula to frost onto a cake.)
Let the cream cheese and butter soften at room temperature for a few hours so it’s very soft to the touch. This will help it mix up smoothly.
Grind the strawberries to form a fine powder.
Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar to make the frosting sweeter if you’d like. (I sometimes do this if serving to older kids and/or adult who may expect a sweeter frosting.)
Top with sprinkles if desired.
Use freeze-dried blueberries in place of the strawberries if you’d like a different flavor.