With an easy method, this Roasted Sweet Potato Hash is a simple breakfast-for-dinner idea that comes together super fast—so you can get your toddler’s dinner onto the table before they get hangry!
During this time of year, I sometimes get a little sad that there’s not much local produce to be had—simply because it’s such a habit during about 9 months of the year. But we’re so in the deep freeze of winter so supermarket produce it is! To make things interesting, I’ve been trying to incorporate a few new recipes to our rotation and this Roasted Sweet Potato Hash was a recent hit.
Easy Sweet Potato Hash
The eggs are cooked ahead of time and the sheet pan of sweet potato, chickpeas, and onion bakes up quickly. And while the topping is just a mixture of sour cream (or yogurt) and salsa, it’s really something special. L loved her plate separated out as you see—the better for her to see the ingredients—and I loved mine all piled together. (She ate the majority of this, though not all of the avocado, and requested more egg.)
I was telling a friend the other day how when I was pregnant, I was starving every two hours around the clock. This meal came in so handy when I felt like I’d run out of meal options! And I loved this meal because it actually helped me stay full and it was filled with a nice dose of vegetarian protein. Plus, it’s so super easy.Print
Try this easy breakfast-for-dinner idea the next time you need a super easy and nutritious family dinner. Make the eggs ahead of time to make it even easier.
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4-8 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup pureed salsa
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the sweet potato, onion, chickpeas, oil, cumin, chili powder, and salt together on a rimmed sheet pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir together the sour cream or yogurt and salsa.
- Serve the roasted veggies with the eggs, avocado, and the salsa sauce.