I love the burst of flavor that the fresh lemon adds to this recipe so I strongly suggest you use it if you can, but they are also great without it!
- 3 tablespoons canola or other neutral oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat or gluten-free cup-for-cup flour bend
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup diced strawberries, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease a standard muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl just enough to combine. Do not overmix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the muffin tin using about 1/4 cup per cup.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a minute or two, and remove to cool fully on a wire rack. Use a paring knife around the edges if needed to help you remove them from the pan.
Store fully cooled muffins for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge or 3 months in a zip top freezer bag in the freezer.
To make these egg-free: Instead of the egg, use 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed and 1/4 cup water.
To make these dairy-free: Use an unsweetened plain nondairy milk for cow’s milk.
Dice the berries into small pieces to ensure the batter around them holds together well as they bake.
Stir the batter together gently to avoid overworking the gluten if using wheat flour.
Use a cake tester inserted into the center of the muffin to test for doneness. It should come out cleanly.
Remove the muffins from the pan after they come out of the oven so they can cool on a wire rack, rather than continue to bake in the hot pan.