To make this gluten-free, simply substitute gluten-free graham cracker crumbs.
- Prepare the Graham Cracker Crust and put it into the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the squash, milk, honey, eggs, egg yolk, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla to a large bowl. Stir together with a whisk or a hand-held electric mixer.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust and bake for 55-65 minutes or until the filling is mostly set and firm to the touch. (The center may still be a little less firm than the edges; It will continue to cook a little as it cools.) After about 30 minutes of cooking, place a tented piece of foil over the pie to prevent the crust from over-browning or use a pie crust shield.
- Let cool fully.
- Slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Graham Cracker Crust: Stir together 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup melted butter, and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Press into a 9-inch pie plate to cover the bottom and about 2/3 way up the sides. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes while you prepare the filling.
Use nondairy plain unsweetened milk if desired.
Use maple syrup instead of honey if desired.
To prevent the crust from becoming too brown, after about 30 minutes of cooking, place a tented piece of foil over the pie or use a pie crust shield.
You can use a store-bought Graham Cracker Crust if you prefer.
Plan to let the pie cool fully before slicing and serving.
You can make this pie up to a day ahead and store covered with plastic wrap in the fridge or at room temperature.
We prefer to eat this chilled though room temperature is also delicious too.