This recipe makes a dozen modest-sized cupcakes or 9 more standard cupcakes. I like the smaller ones for younger toddlers who may not need or be able to eat a larger serving.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh Strawberry Frosting (or frosting of choice)
- Prepare the Fresh Strawberry Frosting and place into the fridge. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a standard muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a handheld electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the eggs, one at a time, then the sour cream, vanilla, and milk. (You can also use a blender for that part.)
- Slowly add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir gently until just combined.
- To make more modest sized cupcakes for younger kids: Fill prepared paper liners about 1/2 full. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
- To make more standard size cupcakes: Fill 9 cupcake liners with about 1/4 cup batter. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
- Remove from oven. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, remove the frosting from the fridge. Snip off one corner of the bag and pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with a slice of berry, if desired, and serve immediately.
Fresh Strawberry Frosting: Place 1/2 cup chopped strawberries into a food processor. Grind until very smooth, about 20 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons honey, 6 ounces cream cheese, and 2 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature, and process until very smooth. Spoon into a quart-size zip top bag, seal, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Standard Cream Cheese Frosting: Add 2 tablespoons honey, 6 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature, and 2 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature, to a medium bowl. Blend with a spatula or hand-held electric mixer until very smooth. Spoon into a quart-size zip top bag, seal, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
You can use whole-wheat pastry instead of all-purpose if you prefer.
To make these egg-free, use 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed and 5 tablespoons water in place of the eggs.
To make these dairy-free, use unsweetened plain non-dairy milk instead of dairy milk and melted coconut oil in place of the butter.
If you don’t have yogurt or sour cream, you can use all milk.
These cupcakes are best when they are freshly baked, so make them on the day you plan to eat them if possible and keep them at room temperature.
Frost just before serving if possible.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 251
- Sugar: 22.5 g
- Sodium: 127.7 mg
- Fat: 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.5 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 64.7 mg