If you want to make an all chocolate version, just omit the dried fruit and use additional chocolate chips!
- 2/3 cup creamy natural unsweetened peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup rolled oats or instant oats
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, chopped, or mini chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, cherries, dried apricots, and/or raisins, cut into smaller pieces if large
- Add the peanut butter and honey to a medium bowl. Warm in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- If you want a more even final texture, grind the rolled oats and 1/2 cup of the coconut in a blender or food processor.
- Stir the oats, coconut, chocolate chips and dried fruit into the bowl with the peanut butter and honey to combine well.
- Use a tablespoon-size measuring spoon to portion out rounds.
- Roll in the remaining coconut if desired. Serve.
To store: Place onto a plate and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
To make these without coconut: Simply omit and use an equal portion of additional oats.
Grind the oats or use instant oats so the final balls have a cookie-dough like texture.
Warm the peanut butter and honey so they are easy to stir into the rest of the ingredients.
Chop the chocolate so it’s more evenly distributed throughout the balls.
Use a fruit your kids like and cut into smaller pieces if needed.
Wet your fingers slightly if the batter is sticking to your hands OR chill the dough for 5-10 minutes to help it firm up and be a little less sticky.
Roll in coconut or skip that step.