Try this healthy pesto with your favorite pasta or in place of pizza sauce on pizza!
- 4 cups lightly packed baby spinach
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- Add the spinach, olive oil, lemon juice, Parmesan, and seeds to a blender.
- Blend very well until very smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl or using the stick that came with the blender as needed. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Season to taste with salt if needed.
- Toss with the pasta or use as desired.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in a zip top freezer bag, with as much air removed as possible, for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature to use.
Blend the mixture well so there are no noticeable chunks of any one ingredient.
Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure the mixture is evenly blended.
Taste and add a little salt if needed.
Use on pasta or pizza, or on grain bowls, eggs, in soup, or spread on toast.
Substitute in baby kale for the spinach to make kale pesto.