I prefer to make these vegetarian since it’s easier, but you can of course add in cooked chicken, beef, or shrimp if you like! Add another can of beans or additional corn to feed a larger family or appetites.
- 1 14.5 ounce can black or pinto beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded lettuce or cabbage
- 6–8 flour or corn tortillas
- Guacamole, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, optional
- Add the beans to a colander and rinse. Add to a heat-safe bowl and warm in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warm.
- Add the corn to a heat-safe bowl and warm in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warm.
- Wrap the stack of tortillas in damp paper towels and heat in the microwave for 1 minutes, turning over halfway through. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Add the cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and toppings to small bowls.
- Let everyone serve themselves to customize their own plates or tacos.
I rinse the beans to help them taste fresh and also to remove any excess salt.
You can use canned corn if you prefer.
Increase the ingredients as needed for the appetites and preferences of your family.
Add cooked beef, chicken, or shrimp if desired.
Serve deconstructed to little kids for easy eating.
Let everyone choose which ingredients to add to their plates and tacos.
I like tortillas labeled “soft” to avoid tortillas that crumble and crack easily.