Serve this sauce with 1 pound of your family’s favorite pasta for an easy and healthy dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups any combination of these vegetables, roughly chopped:
onion, carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato, bell pepper (any color but green) celery, and/or cauliflower
- 29 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetables, stir, and cover. Cook for 10 minute or until mostly soft.
- Remove lid and stir in the tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low and place the lid so it’s mostly covering the pot but not a tight seal. This will let some steam escape but will protect your cooktop from splatters. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until everything is soft.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a regular blender. Season to taste with additional salt as needed.
- Serve with 1 pound of your family’s favorite pasta.
To make Meat Sauce:
Brown 1/2 pound ground beef or mild Italian sausage in Step 1 after you warm the oil. Proceed as directed.
To do this in a Slow Cooker:
Double all ingredient amounts and add to the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until everything is softened. Finish as directed in Step 3.
To make this into Pizza Sauce: Simmer the sauce for about 30-45 minutes longer on low, stirring occasionally, or until very thick. Add 1 teaspoon pizza seasoning.