You can use store-bought pesto if desired in place of the homemade version below.
- 1 bunch kale or spinach
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, almonds, or pine nuts
- 1/4–1/2 cup olive oil
- 13–16 ounce pizza dough
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces thinly sliced salami, optional
- To make the pesto: Add the kale or spinach, lemon juice, Parmesan, garlic, sunflower seeds, and ¼ cup olive oil to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed, and adding more olive oil as needed to make a smooth consistency. (If your blender came with a stick, use it to help press the down!)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and grease a muffin tin.Use your hands to stretch the dough into an 11×16-inch rectangle on a piece of parchment paper.
- Spread enough pesto over the dough to cover, then sprinkle on the mozzarella. Add salami if using. Starting on one long side, roll the dough up carefully.
- Use a serrated knife to cut into 12 even slices. Place each slice into a prepared muffin cup, and bake for 18-20 minutes until the dough is baked through, the cheese is melted, and the tops are golden. Remove from pan, using a knife around the edges if needed, and let cool slightly before serving.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge or in a zip-lock freezer bag with as much air removed as possible in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve from frozen, place on a plate and microwave for 30-60 seconds or until warm.
Use thinly sliced salami.
Make the pesto ahead of time or use store-bought if that makes pulling the recipe together easier.
Serve with a simple side of fruit or another veggie to make an easy meal.
Homemade Pizza Dough: Add 2 teaspoons instant yeast to 1 cup warm water. Stir in 1 teaspoon sugar and let sit 5 minutes or until the yeast is puffy. Stir into a large bowl with 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup all purpose, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt. Let sit, covered with a clean kitchen towel, for about an hour before using.