Serve these plain or add one of the seasoning suggestions below.
- 1 butternut squash (or about 4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash)
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil like canola or avocado oil
- If you’re starting with a whole butternut squash, you’ll need to cut it. Here’s exactly how I cut butternut squash. If you’re using precut, just make sure that the cubes are fairly even. If not, cut them as needed.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a rimming baking sheet with foil. Place the cut squash onto the prepared sheet and toss with oil. Spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes until just starting to turn golden brown and are soft when poked with a fork. Remove from the oven.
- Place into a pie plate or bowl, and mash with a potato masher or a large fork. Season if desired and serve warm. (See the variations below!)
Add a sprinkle of salt.
Add a sprinkle of salt and cinnamon.
Stir in a little butter and maple syrup.