You can serve this soup chunky or pureed smooth, according to what your family might prefer. There’s also a slow cooker option if that’s more your speed!
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil like canola
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can reduced sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup orange juice
- Sour cream or cheese to top, optional
- Add the oil to a medium pot and warm over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and sweet potato and stir to coat. Add the spices. Cook for about 5 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the orange juice . Serve (or puree smooth and serve) topped with desired toppings.
To do this in the Slow Cooker:
Place all ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as needed, and serve with sour cream shredded cheese as desired.
Add a sprinkle of cilantro on top.
Serve over rice or couscous.
Use pinto beans instead of black.