You can vary the beans if you like in these simple burritos. Serve them with salsa and/or sour cream.
- 2 cups cooked and warm brown rice
- 14/5 ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained and warmed
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup pureed salsa
- 6 fajita-size whole wheat flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir together all the ingredients except the tortillas in a medium bowl.
- Warm each tortilla one by one in the microwave for about 10 seconds. Or wrap the whole stack in a damp paper towel and warm for about 30 seconds. Remove one at a time from the towels.
- Add 1/2 cup of the bean and rice mixture to the center of each warmed flour tortilla (I use fajita size), fold in the sides, and roll up.
- Place, seam-side-down, onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Warm them in the oven for about 8-10 minutes to warm through.
To Make Ahead: After Step 4, you can cover the burritos and store in the fridge for up to 4 hours. Bake as directed for 10-12 minutes or until warmed through.
Pick a salsa that you like the flavor of since that’s going to be the main flavoring for these rice and bean burritos.
These have the best texture when the rice is cooked until tender.
Use fajita-size tortillas. Cut in half for the kids if needed.
Serve the elements deconstructed to younger toddlers so it’s easier to eat.
Be sure that the tortillas are warm before you try to fold them.
Use tortillas labeled “soft” for ones that will be easiest to work with and for the kids to eat.