Classic Italian meatballs with kale tucked inside to help toddlers eat their greens! (You can of course use the more traditional parsley instead of kale if you prefer.)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
- Place the oats, breadcrumbs, kale, onion, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to grind.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and grind until thoroughly minced and uniform.
- Form into 1-tablespoon-size meatballs and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels if necessary.
- Warm in your favorite marinara sauce and serve with polenta, whole grain pasta, or alongside whole-wheat toast.
Use cornmeal instead of breadcrumbs to make these meatballs gluten free.
Use half ground Italian sausage and half ground beef for extra flavor.
Try with ground turkey.
Use baby spinach instead of kale.