We like this as a vegetarian main dish or as a side for a meat main. You can also double it and use a larger pan to feed a crowd. Adapted from Ina Garten
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 quart reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2–1 teaspoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Add the rice and chicken stock to a 2 or 3 quart baking dish. Cover with foil tightly and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven. (There may be a little liquid in the pan and there may be a few bits of rice that aren’t yet 100% super soft yet. It’s okay as it will keep cooking in Step 3!)
- Stir in the peas, zucchini, Parmesan, butter, and salt until well combined. Cover tightly for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Use vegetable stock to make the dish vegetarian.
Stir in 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves before serving for more flavor.
Try diced asparagus in place of the zucchini.