Below is the recipe for the Avocado Egg Salad, with the other ideas in the Notes section for easy reference. Add fresh fruit, an applesauce pouch, canned fruit cup (in 100% juice), easy veggies for lunch, milk, and/or water to any lunch to round it out.
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 avocado
- salt, sesame seeds, or Everything Bagel Seasoning to taste
- Peel the eggs and roughly chop. Add to a small bowl and scoop out the avocado. Mash with a fork to create the texture of classic egg salad.
- Sprinkle with salt if desired and stir. Add sesame seeds or Everything Bagel Seasoning if desired.
- Serve alongside bread cubes, spread onto bread sticks, or spread into a sandwich.
- If making ahead, stir in about a tablespoon of lemon juice to help prevent the avocado from browning.
Crispy Chicken Club: Bake up frozen chicken tenders (store bought from a brand like Applegate or homemade) and place onto lollipop sticks with bread cubes and lettuce for a fun (and still easy) take on a chicken club.
Make-Ahead Pb&J: If your kids love pb&j (or sunflower seed butter and jelly), you can make a few ahead, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and stash in a freezer bag in the freezer to quickly pull out and pack in a lunchbox.
Hummus Roll Ups: Spread a thin layer of hummus on a whole grain or flour tortilla (corn is likely not a good option since they tend to crumble more easily). Add a slice of cheese if you’d like. Roll up and slice into spirals. You can add lettuce or shredded cheese if you prefer.
Sunbutter and Banana Roll Ups: Spread a thin layer of sunflower seed butter on a whole grain or flour tortilla. Place a banana on one side and roll up. Slice into spirals and serve. Add some jam if your kids prefer additional sweetness.
Jam Sandwich: Sometimes a jam sandwich hits the mark. Add some protein in the form of milk or cheese to round out the meal.
Sweet Potato Grilled Cheese: Spread a thin layer of sweet potato puree on bread as you assemble a grilled cheese for extra nutrition.
Deconstructed Turkey and Cheese Sandwich: Simply dice the components up and serve them side by side. Easy peasy!
Deconstructed Ham Sandwich: The same thing as above applies with ham. Add some mustard, mayo, or even guacamole for dipping if you’d like.
Hard-Cooked Egg Pita: Halve a whole grain pita and add sliced hard cooked eggs (or egg salad!). Add shredded lettuce or carrots if desired.