Made with a base of applesauce and whole grain flour, these easy mini muffins are sweet enough to taste like a treat!
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, slightly cooled (or neutral oil like canola)
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy or unsweetened nondairy)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 24 cup mini muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the applesauce, butter, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and egg.
- Add the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and gently fold together.
- Fill prepared muffin tin to the edge of each cup using about 2 tablespoons of batter.
- Sprinkle each muffin with cinnamon and granulated sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out cleanly.
- Remove from oven, run a paring knife around the edges, if needed to loosen, and transfer to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
To store: Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days, warming briefly if desired before serving. Or freezer in a zip top freezer bag with as much air removed as possible for up to 3 months.
You can use gluten-free flour for the regular flours.
Use plain, unsweetened nondairy milk and oil instead of butter to make these dairy free.
To make these without egg, omit the egg and increase the milk to 3/4 cup. Add 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed to the batter.
To make these as full size muffins, bake for 20-22 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
To make these less sweet for younger toddlers or babies, you can cut the maple syrup down to 1-2 tablespoons skip the cinnamon sugar on top.