When I just need one sweet potato for a recipe, I often cook it in the microwave. Dice it, place it in a large 4-cup glass measuring cup, cover with two inches of water and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Roasted Sweet Potato or Crockpot Sweet Potato works well too!
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 14.5-ounce can white beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plain Greek yogurt, or tahini
- Savory: 1 teaspoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sweet: 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Crackers and/or veggies for dipping
- Prepare the sweet potato. It should be cooled or at room temperature before making the recipe.
- Rinse and drain the beans in a colander.
- Place the sweet potato, white beans, and olive, oil, yogurt, or tahini into a blender or food processor. Add the options to make it sweet or savory.
- Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed, and adding 1/4-1/3 cup water to make a hummus-like consistency.
- Serve with sliced veggies, apples, pears, whole grain crackers, graham crackers, or pretzel sticks as a snack.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also spread this onto toast or tortillas, or make it into a wrap by rolling it in a tortillas with shredded carrots or lettuce.
You can use garbanzo beans instead of white beans if desired.