You can use any type of apple you like in this recipe.
- 16 ounce container fresh strawberries (about 3 heaping cups diced)
- 4 medium apples (about 6 cups diced)
- 1 cup water
- Remove the stems from the berries, rinse, and dry lightly.
- Peel the apples. Slice the fruit from the core and roughly dice.
- Add berries and apples to a medium pot. Add 1 cup water.
- Heat over high heat to bring to a boil, then lower to medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fruit into a blender leaving the excess liquid behind. Blend until smooth.
- Serve warm or transfer to a airtight container and store in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Vary the flavor with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or a dash of cinnamon.
- Sweeten the applesauce with a little honey if desired.
- Serve warm or cold.
- To freeze, let cool completely and freeze in a zip top freezer bag with as much air removed as possible, laid flat. Or in an airtight container. Thaw at room temperature or in the fridge. The thawed mixture may separate a little so stir it up before serving.
- You can use any remaining liquid in the pot in smoothies or chill and serve as natural juice.