I love the burst of flavor that the fresh lemon adds to this recipe so I strongly suggest you use it if you can, but they are also great without it! (Recipe updated slightly April 2021 to ensure dry ingredients are evenly distributed throughout.)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat (or gluten-free cup-for-cup flour bend)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup canola oil or melted and slightly cooled butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced strawberries, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease a standard muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Add the flour, oats, baking powder, and baking soda to a medium bowl. Stir together.
- Add the milk, honey, oil, egg, vanilla extract, strawberries, and lemon zest, if using. Stir together gently to just combine.
- Evenly divide the batter between the muffin tin using about 1/4 cup per cup.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a minute or two, and remove to cool fully on a wire rack. Use a paring knife around the edges if needed to help you remove them from the pan.
Store fully cooled muffins for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge or 3 months in a zip top freezer bag in the freezer.
To make these egg-free: Instead of the egg, use 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed and 1/4 cup water.
To make these dairy-free: Use an unsweetened plain nondairy milk for cow’s milk.
Dice the berries into small pieces to ensure the batter around them holds together well as they bake.
Use a cake tester inserted into the center of the muffin to test for doneness. It should come out cleanly.
Remove the muffins from the pan after they come out of the oven so they can cool on a wire rack, rather than continue to bake in the hot pan.
Stir together 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk to make an optional icing. Drizzle it over the muffins with a spoon.
Keywords: strawberry muffins, muffins, strawberries