If you want to make these vegetarian, try using 2 cups rinsed and drained black beans or pinto beans instead of the ground beef.
- 6 cups roughly chopped veggies such as carrots, onion, sweet potato, and/or butternut squash
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fully cooked short grain brown or white rice
- 8 fajita-size tortillas (or medium tortillas about 8 or 10 inches)
- Salsa, sour cream, or guacamole
- Place the bell pepper or carrot, onion, sweet potato, and garlic into a food processor.
- Grind until finely chopped.
- Add to a slow cooker along with the beef, crushed tomatoes, and spices.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Stir in prepared rice and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place about 1/2 cup into the center of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with cheese and warm for about 10-15 seconds in the microwave.
- Roll up into burritos, folding the sides in and then rolling up. Serve warm with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole as desired.
Store the leftover filling and use as a topping for rice as burrito bowls. Or make additional burritos and wrap individually in plastic wrap or foil and store in the freezer. Remove from wrapping and reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, turning halfway through.
Serve any leftovers over rice or make them into burritos to store in the freezer for future meals.
You can make the filling ahead of time and/or make the whole recipe ahead and store in the fridge or freezer until ready to serve.
Use mild salsa to keep the flavors mellow enough for the kids.
Try not to overfill your tortillas to ensure that they are easy to roll up
I like the smaller size of tortillas meant for fajitas since they are often a more proportional size for kids. You can use larger burrito-size if you prefer.
Prepare your rice ahead of time or use purchased precooked rice.
Serve some of the filling alongside cut up strips of tortilla for little kids.
Keywords: beef burrito, slow cooker burrito, healthy burrito