How to Make Oatmeal with Fruit
The base recipe makes a large amount so you can use it throughout the week. Feel free to cut it in half to make less, or just make one serving at a time using the instructions in the NOTES section below.
- 3 cups rolled oats (often called "old-fashioned oatmeal")
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract optional
- milk for serving
- sliced nuts chia seeds, hemp seeds, nut butter (optional for serving)
Fruit Add-In (choose one)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, peaches or mango
- 1 cup raisins, dried cherries, chopped dried apples, or dried cranberries
- 1 cup applesauce, mashed banana
- 1 cup shredded apple
Heat 4 cups water in a medium pot over high heat.
When almost about to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and add the oats, cinnamon, and vanilla.
Cook, stirring often, until the oats are softened and the water is absorbed, about 4 minutes. Stir in your fruit of choice. Cook for an additional 4-6 minutes or until the fruit is soft and the water is absorbed.
Remove from the heat. Cover and let sit for about 5 minutes.
Serve warm with any additional toppings and milk.
- Divide the recipe in half to make a smaller amount.
- Make the base recipe, then stir in your desired fruit of choice when you reheat the portions to change things up throughout the week.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat to serve, adding milk as desired.
- To Make One Serving in the Microwave: Add 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 cup water to heat-safe bowl. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in 2 tablespoons dried fruit or 1/2 cup fresh fruit and cook for an additional minute. Serve with milk.
- To make with Steel Cut Oats: Use 1 cup steel cut oats and 4 cups water. Simmer on medium-low heat until the oats are soft, about 20 minutes.
- To Make with Instant Oats: Use 3 cups quick or instant oats and 5 cups water. Simmer on medium-low heat until the oats are soft and the water is absorbed, about 5-8 minutes.
- Flavor Tips: Mango is particularly good with coconut milk. Shredded apple, applesauce, and banana works well with a dollop of peanut butter. Almond butter is delicious with blueberries and raspberries.
- Gluten-free: Use certified gluten-free rolled oats.
- Dairy-free: Use your favorite nondairy milk.
Calories: 199kcalCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 6gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 3mgPotassium: 207mgFiber: 6gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 42IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 32mgIron: 2mg