Spinach Baby Food
I prefer doing this with baby spinach, but full size leaves work too.
- 4 cups lightly packed baby spinach
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons avocado optional
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice optional
- 1 teaspoon olive oil optional
Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the spinach and peas and stir.
Cover and reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 4-5 minutes or until spinach is just wilted. (When you add the frozen peas to the boiling water, the water will stop boiling. It will take a minute or two to get back up to boiling, then another minute or two to wilt the spinach. Keep an eye on it to avoid overcooking.)
Transfer mixture to a blender and blend very smooth, starting on low and working up to high.
Blend in any optional ingredients as desired.
Let cool and serve or store for future meals.
- Store in the fridge in small airtight containers for 3-5 days.
- To freeze: Portion into a silicone ice cube tray and freeze overnight. Transfer the frozen cubes to a freeze bag and seal, removing as much air as possible, and keep frozen for up to 6 months.
- To make this thicker, remove 1/4-1/2 cup of the water from the pot after Step 2 so you puree with less water. Add just as much as you need to get the mixture to blend.
- To use frozen spinach, replace the fresh spinach with 1 cup frozen spinach. Stir into the boiling water just until warmed through for about 1-2 minutes in Step 1. Skip Step 2 to avoid overcooking. Transfer the spinach and peas to the blender with a slotted spoon and add a little water at a time as needed to make the puree. (You likely won't need as much liquid since the spinach is already condensed.)
- Add avocado, lemon juice, or olive oil to add more flavor and nutrients to this recipe if you'd like.
- Mix half and half with Apple Puree or Pear Puree to make a baby food combination.
- Sprinkle on a little grated Parmesan cheese for older babies to add flavor.
- Stir leftovers into pasta or rice or quinoa as a simple sauce.
- Serve off of a spoon or in a reusable pouch.
Calories: 58kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 3gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 19mgPotassium: 255mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 2253IUVitamin C: 26mgCalcium: 33mgIron: 1mg