Easy Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
I prefer to use Yukon Gold potatoes in this recipe. They are usually very widely available at grocery stores.
- 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt or sour cream
Peel and dice your potatoes. Add potatoes and salt to a large pot and cover with two inches of water.
Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then turn down to medium. Simmer until the potatoes are very soft, about 15-20 minutes.
Drain the potatoes in a colander.
Add the milk and butter to the pot and heat to melt over low heat.
Add the potatoes back to the pot, stir in the yogurt, and blend using an immersion blender. (Or use a potato masher for slightly chunkier potatoes or transfer to a food processor or blender.)
Season to taste with additional salt as you like, then serve or store for later.
- Store, once cooled at least slightly, in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat with the lid on to keep all of the moisture in for 4-6 minutes, stopping to stir halfway through for even heating.
- You can use an immersion blender to blend the potatoes right in the pot, transfer to a food processor, or use a potato masher (for less smooth potatoes).
- Use plain Greek yogurt or sour cream—but full fat will make these masked potatoes taste best.
- Taste and salt according to your preferences.
- Serve to a kiddo with a spoon (or let them use their fingers!).
- Double the recipe to make a larger batch.
Calories: 76kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 3gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 216mgPotassium: 357mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 35IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 41mgIron: 1mg