Healthy Hot Chocolate (Ready in Minutes!)
We serve this homemade hot cocoa in little kid-size mugs, but any small cup should work.
- 1 cup milk
- 1-2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1-2 teaspoons honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- mini marshmallows (optional)
Warm the milk in a heat-safe container like a glass measuring cup in the microwave for 60-90 seconds. (Or warm in a small pot over medium-low heat on the stovetop.)
Vigorously whisk in the cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla.
Top with marshmallows, if using, and serve.
- We usually use whole milk, but any milk will work. (Nonfat milk will not create very creamy results.)
- If using nondairy milk, choose an unsweetened nondairy option. Or, if it's vanilla flavor, omit the vanilla extract. If the milk is sweetened, you may not need the additional sweetener.
- Cocoa powder tends to have little lumps, so whisk vigorously.
- Add a little more cocoa powder and/or sweetener as desired.
- I like the Saco or Hershey's special dark brands of cocoa powder.
- The marshmallows are of course optional. We do love the Dandies brand (their peppermint flavor is the best) if you see them in your store.
- Test the temperature of the milk with your finger or take a little sip to ensure it's right for the kids.
Calories: 88kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 4gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 53mgPotassium: 171mgFiber: 1gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 198IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 139mgIron: 1mg