Favorite Buttered Baby Carrots
This is one of my go-to recipes to turn a bag of baby carrots into a delicious side dish for family dinner.
- 12 ounce bag baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or olive oi)
- salt and/or honey (optional)
Rinse off the carrots (because they've usually been sitting in water in the bag).
Add to a medium pan with 1/4 cup water and the butter over high heat. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium.
Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until just tender when poked with a knife. (It may take a few more minutes depending on the thickness of the carrots.)
Remove the cover and cook for 2-4 minutes to let the remaining liquid cook off.
Sprinkle with salt and/or honey, as desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat to serve.
- Skip the honey and added salt for kids under 12 months.
- Dairy-free: Use olive oil instead of butter.
- Rinse and dry baby carrots if they are wet in the bag to freshen them up.
- Cooking time may vary slightly based on the thickness of your baby carrots.
- When serving raw baby carrots to kids, start with shredded (12 months), then thinly sliced around 18 months, and work up to thicker slices and whole baby carrots around age 4. (They can be hard to chew, so working through this progression can help give kids the chance to learn the texture.)
Calories: 80kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 1gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 67mgPotassium: 203mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 11903IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 29mgIron: 1mg