Healthy Fudge Brownies Recipe
These lower sugar, egg-free brownies have moisture from fruit and veggies, and just enough cocoa powder to ensure they taste great.
- 1 cup lightly packed baby spinach
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 8x8-inch pan with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
Add all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips to a blender. Blend very smoothly, starting on low and working up to high, to make a very smooth batter.
Pour into prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Top with chocolate chips and lightly press into batter.
Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until firm to the touch and a cake tester comes out mostly cleanly. (It's a moist batter, so it may be a little moist in the centers.)
Let cool for about 10 minutes. Place into the fridge (on a pot holder) and allow to cool completely in the pan. Use the foil to transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Slice into squares, cleaning the knife off between slices if needed, and serve.
- Let cool fully in the fridge before removing from the pan and slicing. This will ensure that the brownies hold together well.
- These can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. We prefer to eat them chilled.
- To make them slightly sweeter add 2 tablespoons sugar to the batter.
- To make these gluten-free, use gluten-free rolled oats.
- If your blender came with a stick, use It to help get the batter going.
- You can make these with a food processor, but the spinach may not grind up as finely.
- You can use regular size chocolate chips if you prefer. I like the way the mini chips are easier to distribute to add a little hint of chocolate to each bite.
Calories: 91kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 1gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 18mgPotassium: 71mgFiber: 2gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 187IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 27mgIron: 1mg