Easy Butternut Squash Hummus
You can use canned squash or whole squash that you've roasted and pureed.
- 2 cups chickpeas (drained and rinsed if canned)
- 1 cup pureed or roasted and cubed butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- Fresh veggies, crackers, and/or toast, as desired
Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
Process until smooth, adding as much water as needed to create a light and fluffy hummus.
Adjust salt as needed.
Serve as a dip or spread on toast or bread.
- Use canned or home cooked chickpeas. If using canned, consider rinsing and draining to remove any excess salt.
- Use canned pureed butternut squash, homemade mashed butternut squash, or roasted butternut squash.
- To roast squash, cut into cubes (or buy precut) and toss with olive oil. (A medium squash will make about 4 cups cubes and should be tossed with 1 tablespoon olive oil.) Roast for 16-20 minutes on a foil-lined baking sheet at 400 degrees F or until soft.
- Let cooked squash cool before starting the hummus.
- To make this without tahini, use an equal amount of plain Greek yogurt.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Use in sandwiches or as a spread for toast. Try as a dip with veggies such as cucumbers or snap peas, or with crackers.
- Use white beans instead of chickpeas for a white bean dip.
- Try mashed roasted sweet potato instead of butternut squash.
Calories: 73kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 3gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 101mgPotassium: 141mgFiber: 3gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 1252IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 26mgIron: 1mg