Baked French Toast Casserole Recipe
Learn how to make the easiest French toast casserole with this simple method. It works with any fruit and is a great option for using up leftover bread!
- 6 cups diced bread (sandwich or artisanal, stale is better)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup fruit (such as fresh or frozen blueberries, sliced strawberries, sliced bananas, or diced peaches)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8x8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray or butter.
Add the eggs, milk or cream, vanilla, and cinnamon to a bowl. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
Add the bread to the pan.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread and stir very well to coat the bread. You want it to all look very moist.
Add the fruit to the top of the bread, pressing down a little.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
Serve warm with maple syrup, yogurt, whipped cream, or other desired toppings.
- Store leftovers wrapped in foil or transferred to an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Warm to serve.
- Serve warm topped with maple syrup, yogurt, or whipped cream.
- Use sandwich bread, artisanal bread, or French bread. It's a little better texture-wise if the bread is somewhat stale.
- Save crusts cut off from the kids sandwiches in a freezer bag until you have enough to make this recipe.
- Use fresh or frozen fruit as you like.
- Double the recipe to bake in a 9x13-inch pan. It may need 4-6 minutes longer to bake through in the center.
- Dairy-free: Use nondairy milk or canned coconut milk instead of the milk or cream.
- Egg-free: Use 1 1/4 cups ripe bananas pureed in the blender instead of eggs.
- Gluten-free: Use a favorite gluten-free bread.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 571kcal | Carbohydrates: 91g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 126mg | Sodium: 899mg | Potassium: 370mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 321IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 282mg | Iron: 7mg