Homemade Broccoli Tots (Better Than the Freezer Aisle!)
You can cook the rice up to 5 days ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you're ready to bake the tots.
- 1 cup broccoli florets (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup fully cooked short grain brown rice
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Italian-flavored or regular breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning or cumin (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Bring a kettle of water to a boil and pour over the broccoli in a heat-safe bowl. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Drain well.
Add the broccoli, rice, cheese, Parmesan, eggs, and breadcrumbs to the bowl of a food processor. Add salt and either Italian seasoning or cumin to add a little additional flavor if desired.
Grind very well to make a uniform batter. (If your batter doesn't seem to be holding together well, add another tablespoon or two of breadcrumbs.)
Portion into 1-tablespoon size ovals and place on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 25-27 minutes or until firm to the touch and lightly golden brown. Let cool slightly and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Reheat in a 375-degree F oven for 6-8 minutes to get them warm and crunchy.
- Dairy-free: Omit the cheese and use just 1 egg. Bake as directed. (Makes about 14 tots.)
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Egg-free: Omit the eggs. Use 1 cup shredded cheese and add 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Bake as directed, leaving them in the oven for 27-30 minutes. (Makes about 19 tots.)
- Use fully cooked and soft brown rice.
- Chop your broccoli before measuring it, using mostly the top of the florets (rather than the stems).
- Be sure to dry your broccoli thoroughly.
- You can use Italian-flavored breadcrumbs, plain, or cornmeal. If using plain or cornmeal, you may want to add a pinch of salt and/or Italian seasoning to the batter for additional flavor.
- Expect the batter to be wet, but the tots should hold together when you put them onto the parchment paper.
- If your batter seems very wet and the tots don't hold together in little mounds on the parchment paper, stir in another tablespoon or so of breadcrumbs or cornmeal.
Calories: 84kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 5gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 98mgPotassium: 83mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 183IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 62mgIron: 1mg