Creamy Hummus Without Tahini
You can use regular plain yogurt, though I like the consistency that Greek yogurt yields a bit better.
- 14.5 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor.
Blend, stopping to scrape down the sides occasionally, until very smooth.
If your mixture seems thick or you have trouble blending, you can add a bit of water or a drizzle of olive oil.
You can also freeze it in portions in an ice cube tray. It may separate when you thaw it out, but just stir it up vigorously. Use within 3 days once thawed from frozen.
- Use a blender for a smoother consistency. You may need to add a few tablespoons of water and/or use the stick that came with your blender (if you have one) to get it going well.
- Omit the garlic if you'd like to have a milder flavor.
- Rinse and drain canned chickpeas to remove any excess salt.
- Stop and scrape down the sides of the food processor to ensure that all of the hummus is well blended.
- Add a drizzle of water if needed to make the hummus blend more easily if it's seeming too thick.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Serve with dippers that your kids usually like.
Calories: 97kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 6gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 155mgPotassium: 159mgFiber: 4gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 26IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 45mgIron: 2mg