Easy Cornbread Muffins
Moist and nutritious, these healthy cornmeal muffins are an easy side, breakfast, or yummy snack.
Servings 12 (Makes 24 mini muffins or 12 standard)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk (plain unsweetened, if using nondairy)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup canola oil (or melted and slightly cooled butter)
- ½ teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 400 F and grease a 24 cup mini muffin tin. (I use Classic Pam.)
Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl.
Portion a heaping 1 tablespoons batter into each prepared cup and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store fully cooled muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and heat for 15 seconds in the microwave before serving.
- To make full-size muffins, bake for 16-18 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
- Gluten-free: Use cup for cup gluten free flour blend.
- Dairy-free: Use nondairy milk.
- Stir the ingredients together gently.
- Make them mini or full size, depending on your preference.
- Serve with soups, stews, chili, eggs, or as a component at snack time.
- Top with butter, honey, or apple butter if desired. Dice into smaller pieces for younger toddlers.
Serving: 2mini muffins | Calories: 181kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 177mg | Potassium: 105mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 33IU | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 1mg