Crispy Baked Tofu Nuggets (SO Good and Easy)
Tofu is typically sold in 14-16 ounce blocks. If yours is 16 ounces, you may need 1 1/4 cup panko. The garlic powder is optional, but adds nice flavor.
- 14 ounce extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
Remove the tofu from the package and place onto a towel-lined plate. Top with a second towel and a second plate. Let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. (This will absorb extra moisture.)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet. Coat the rack well with nonstick spray.
Add the panko to a shallow dish or pie plate and stir in the garlic powder and salt.
Break the eggs into another shallow dish and beat lightly.
Add the flour to a third shallow dish and sprinkle with salt.
Dredge the tofu cubes in the flour, then the egg, and then panko and place on the prepared rack. Spray lightly with nonstick spray.
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until completely cooked through and lightly golden brown.
Serve warm with dip like ketchup, Ranch, guacamole, or anything the kids like if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, warm for 8-10 minutes in an 350 degree F oven.
- Be sure to drain the tofu well on towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Use extra-firm tofu for the best texture inside each nugget.
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free panko breadcrumbs and gluten free cup-for-cup flour.
- Egg-free: Sub mayo for the egg.
- Serve with your kid's favorite dip.
- Serve warm to ensure they're crunchy when eaten.
Calories: 116kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 9gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 233mgPotassium: 149mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 79IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 48mgIron: 2mg