Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
You can make these mashed sweet potatoes up to 2 days ahead and reheat, and stir right before serving.
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1/4-1/2 cup light coconut milk
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet or pan with foil.
Wash and dry the sweet potatoes and poke all over with a paring knife. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minute or until very soft to the touch. Let cool.
Cut open the potatoes and scoop the flesh out into a medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup coconut milk and mash with a potato masher until very smooth. (You can also do this in a food processor or with an immersion blender.)
Add additional coconut milk as needed to make a smooth consistency. You want them to be thick, but creamy and easy to eat with a spoon.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the fridge. Stir well after reheating to serve.
- You can also prepare the sweet potatoes in a Crockpot.
- Used canned coconut milk rather than the kind sold in the diary aisle.
- Mash with a potato masher or an immersion blender.
- Add enough coconut milk to make a creamy, but thick texture.
- Stir when warming up leftovers to incorporate any liquid.
- Serve as a holiday side, or a dinner side dish alongside chicken, steak, tacos, quesadillas, or rice and beans.
Calories: 205kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 4gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 135mgPotassium: 762mgFiber: 7gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 32063IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 68mgIron: 1mg