Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Jam
You can make a batch of this jam and enjoy some now and some later by stashing some in the freezer.
- 1 quart strawberries (about 3 cups roughly diced with stems removed)
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 2-4 tablespoons maple syrup (as desired)
Add the berries, rhubarb, and juice to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cover.
Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the fruit is very soft. If it starts to bubble vigorously, reduce the heat slightly and/or put the lid on slightly askew to allow some steam to escape. Remove from heat.
Stir in chia seeds. Cover and let sit for about 20 minutes.
Blend in a traditional blender or with an immersion blender. This step is optional but I find that my kids like this better when the rhubarb is blended in.
Pour into half-pint mason jars, freezer containers, or other airtight storage containers. Seal and let cool.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Stir the jam 3-4 times while it's cooking to ensure that the fruit cooks evenly.
- Reduce the heat slightly if it's boiling and/or put the lid on slightly off center so it's mostly covered but some steam can escape.
- Let the jam sit once the chia seeds are added so they have a chance to plump up.
- Sweeten to taste to suit your own preferences.
Calories: 33kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 1mgPotassium: 113mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 27IUVitamin C: 27mgCalcium: 32mgIron: 1mg