Mini Moroccan Lamb Meatballs
Serve these mini meatballs with grains and veggies or pasta.
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or Monterey Jack)
- 1/4 cup raisins (or diced dried apricots)
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
Place the onion, carrot, and fresh parsley (if using) into the bowl of a food processor. Grind finely for about 30 seconds.
Add the lamb, cumin, egg, cheese, apricots or raisins, salt, and cornmeal or breadcrumbs and combine well for 30-60 seconds stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Form into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until just starting to brown.
Drain on paper towels and serve with Cucumber Sauce or in your favorite marinara sauce with a sprinkle of cinnamon and cumin.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Use gluten-free breadcrumbs if needed.
- Grind the veggies finely to ensure a smooth overall final texture.
- Use a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to portion out batter.
- You can fry these in hot oil in a cast iron skillet if you prefer your meatballs to be a little crunchy.
- Serve with Cucumber Sauce over rice and veggies, or in Tomato Sauce with pasta with a sprinkle of cinnamon and cumin.
Calories: 291kcalCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 16gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 329mgPotassium: 284mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 1094IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 71mgIron: 2mg